USDA Release: JOHANNS ANNOUNCES COMBS TO SERVE AS USDA'S CHIEF INFORMATION OFFICER

Link: http://www.usda.gov/2005/10/0417.xml

Release No. 0417.05

Ed Loyd (202) 720-4623

JOHANNS ANNOUNCES COMBS TO SERVE AS USDA'S CHIEF INFORMATION OFFICER

WASHINGTON, Oct. 4, 2005-Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns announced today that Dave Combs will serve as chief information officer for the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

"Dave has demonstrated management and leadership skills that will serve our farmers, ranchers, employees and customers very well," said Johanns. "I am confident that his commitment and expertise in information management and technology will continue to help advance President Bush's eGovernment initiative."

Combs, who assumes the position immediately, will coordinate integration, training and enforcement of all aspects of USDA's information management and information technology programs and serve as management advisor and senior consultant on policies, standards, and guidance.

Combs has served as acting chief information officer for the past three months and previously served as the acting deputy chief information officer.  He came to the Office of Chief Information Officer in July 2003 after serving since June 2002 as special assistant to the administrator of Rural Utilities Service.  His expertise was in strategic planning, budget and performance integration, competitive sourcing, outreach to rural telecommunications associations and other information technology support services for field staff.

>From 1992 until joining USDA in 2002, Combs was founder and owner of Combs Music, an independent record company specializing in instrumental piano music.

A native of Erwin, Tenn., Combs holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics from East Tennessee State University and a Masters of Business Administration from Wake Forest University Babcock Graduate School of Management.  He and his wife Linda now live in Winston-Salem, North Carolina and Alexandria, Virginia.

#
 USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx
202 720-4623