USDA Release: JOHANNS ANNOUNCES APPOINTMENT OF DR. CURT MANN AS DEPUTY UNDER SECRETARY FOR FOOD SAFETY

For full story please click on this link:  http://www.usda.gov/2005/08/0306.xml

JOHANNS ANNOUNCES APPOINTMENT OF DR. CURT MANN AS DEPUTY UNDER SECRETARY FOR FOOD SAFETY

WASHINGTON, August 12, 2005-Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns today announced he has appointed Dr. Curt J. Mann to serve as Deputy Under Secretary for Food Safety.

"Curt Mann brings a wealth of experience, knowledge and dedication to food security, food safety and bio-defense that will assist our efforts to protect the public health from contamination of meat, poultry and egg products," said Johanns. "We are glad to welcome him back to USDA to serve in this important role and continue our commitment to safeguarding the public health."

Dr. Mann will begin his new duties at USDA August 22nd.  Previously he served with the Biological and Chemical Defense Policy Directorate of the White House Homeland Security Council as the Director of Food, Agriculture, and Water Security. In this role, he was responsible for planning, developing, formulating, evaluating, and advising Presidential led programs related to bio-defense of agriculture, food and water systems.  Dr. Mann was instrumental in the development and drafting of Homeland Security Presidential Directive-9 "Defense of United States Agriculture and Food" signed by the President in January of 2004.

Prior to his White House service, Mann was a special assistant to the Secretary of Agriculture where he focused on coordinating the Department's role in Homeland Security following the events of September 11th.  Dr. Mann has also practiced as a clinical veterinarian, served as a professional staff member to the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Agriculture and as executive director of the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges.

"Dr. Mann's experience and expertise will nicely compliment our strong food safety leadership team," said Dr. Richard Raymond, Under Secretary for Food Safety.

Dr. Mann studied microbiology at Montana State University and the University of Wyoming.  He received his veterinarian degree from Kansas State University and has practiced as a large and small animal clinical veterinarian.  He has one daughter and lives in McLean, Virginia.

#
 USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx
202 720-4623