USDA Release: CHILE OPENS BORDERS TO U.S. BEEF

Click to View: http://www.usda.gov/2005/07/0270.xml

Release No. 0270.05
Contact:

Terri Teuber   (202) 720-4623
Steven Cohen (202) 720-9113

CHILE OPENS BORDERS TO U.S. BEEF

DAKAR, Senegal, July 19, 2005-Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns today announced that Chile is lifting its ban on U.S. beef and beef products from animals less than 30 months of age.

"I applaud the Chilean government for making trade decisions based on internationally accepted scientific standards," said Johanns.  "This is one more step toward normalized international trade in beef. USDA is working hard to normalize trade with all of our beef trading partners, both exporting and importing, based on scientifically-sound, internationally-recognized standards which protect both human and animal health."

In 2003, the United States exported $5.3 million worth of beef and beef products to Chile.  Chile imposed a ban on U.S. beef and beef products on Dec. 24, 2003.

#
 USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx
202 720-4623