USDA Release: USDA AWARDS $4 MILLION IN NUTRITION TRAINING GRANTS

Please view this link for full story:  http://www.usda.gov/2005/07/0267.xml

USDA AWARDS $4 MILLION IN NUTRITION TRAINING GRANTS

        WASHINGTON, July 18, 2005-The U.S. Department of Agriculture today announced the award of $4 million in Team Nutrition Training grants to 21 states.  The grants assist states' efforts to improve children's life long eating and physical activity habits.

        "Improving the overall health and well-being of our children requires partnerships among federal, state and local programs," said Deputy Secretary of Agriculture Chuck Conner.  "We are committed to improving the school nutrition environment for all students.  These grants provide an additional resource to our partners to promote good nutrition and physical activity to children."

        Team Nutrition is one of USDA's Food and Nutrition Service efforts to provide schools with nutrition education materials for children and parents as well as technical assistance materials for school food service and communities to support healthy eating and physical activity.  Among the 21 states chosen this year, 15 states will use the grants to support the development of local wellness policies as required in 2006 by the reauthorization of the Richard B. Russell National School Lunch and Child Nutrition.

        "We are committed to improving the eating and physical activity habits of children," said Conner.  "Eating a nutritious diet, daily physical activity and making healthy choices will help stem the tide of childhood obesity."

Team Nutrition activities support two pillars of the President's Healthier US Initiative that was launched in 2002 to help Americans live longer, better and healthier lives.  In 2004, USDA launched the Healthier US School Challenge as an extension of the President's Healthier US Initiative.  The School Challenge builds upon the Team Nutrition program and recognizes schools that achieve nutrition and physical activity standards.

Team Nutrition Training grants were awarded to Alaska, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Wisconsin, West Virginia and Wyoming through a competitive grants process.  More information about Team Nutrition is available at www.fns.usda.gov
 USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx
202 720-4623