USDA Release: *Corrected Version - USDA ANNOUNCES TAIWAN TO RESUME U.S. BEEF TRADE

Release No.  0468.04

*Corrected Version - Changes in bold, see attachment

Julie Quick (202) 720-4623

USDA ANNOUNCES TAIWAN TO RESUME U.S. BEEF TRADE

TAIPEI, TAIWAN, Oct. 26, 2004-Taiwan has agreed in principle to resume imports of U.S. beef and beef products, U.S. officials announced today.  In 2003, Taiwan's purchases of beef and ruminant products amounted to some $325 million.

 "We are very pleased with this progress in yet another important beef market," Agriculture Secretary Ann M. Veneman said.  "We are continuing our market opening efforts in the remaining key countries.  Our goal is a return to normal beef trade as quickly as possible."

Taiwan officials indicated that the required assessments and evaluations for trade to resume were nearing completion.  The final step is on-site inspection of the major features and implementation of the U.S. BSE measures.

A delegation of Taiwan experts will now travel to the United States for these site visits beginning Nov. 10.

Dr. J. B. Penn, under secretary for Farm and Foreign Agricultural Services, led a delegation that met with Taiwanese Health and Agriculture officials early this week.  The delegation had also earlier held discussions in Japan and will visit other U.S. customer countries in the Asian region.

#

USDA News
oc.news@xxxxxxxx
202 720-4623