Re: Booting from NFSv4 file system?

Hello Ced,

On 13.02.24 08:51, Cedric Blancher wrote:
> Good morning!
>
> Does Barebox support booting from a NFSv4 file system? Explicitly
> neither NFSv2 or NFSv3 will work in our case, as both protocol
> versions are no longer allowed by our IT department.

It's a funny coincidence that the same question was asked just a few
days earlier:

 https://lore.barebox.org/barebox/CAAvCNcByUskEuqLMPmO6mbCOZHhYNx_OXZKYO+HKyz_=Cs2RCQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/T/#t

Do you and Dan both perhaps use the same Enterprise Linux that now ships without
UDP support in the kernel NFS server?

To sum up the other thread: We don't have a TCP stack in barebox, but that's a
hard requirement to do NFSv4. There's AFAIK no one currently working on this.

The immediate options are either using TFTP to download the kernel and then
use NFS for mounting the rootfs within the kernel or to use a userspace NFS
server. I am using NFS Ganesha at home for this.

Cheers,
Ahmad