Using bootspec with RAUC and redundant partitions

Hi All,

Can anyone help me determine where to place the bootspec data in a system
with redundant partitions for kernel and rootfs?

We're migrating from scripts in env/boot for 'system0' and 'system1', to
bootspec. We're using bootchooser combined with the state framework to determine
which target needs to be booted.

Our partition table (relevant partitions):
 mmc2.0: kernel.0
 mmc2.1: kernel.1
 mmc2.4: rootfs.0
 mmc2.5: rootfs.1

Looking into the bootspec, we could add an additional 'boot' partition but this breaks redundancy, and feels trivial since we have the kernel partitions.

But adding the loader/entries to the kernel partitions probably requires us to generate them runtime (Rauc post-install?). Since Rauc determines which kernel partition will be written with the contents of 'kernel' image in a bundle the
bootspec can't be determined at build time.

Is there a door number 3 or am I missing something here?

Best regards,
Robin van der Gracht