Re: barebox on VoCore2

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 10:48:26 +0100
Mauro Condarelli <mc5686@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to use barebox with a custom board (VoCore2, based on
> MT7628) currently running on a paleolithic version of u-boot.
> I've seen there has been some work on this board
> (http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/barebox/2017-August/030945.html),
> but it's unclear to me if this resulted in a usable barebox and, if so,
> what's the right branch to use.
> I'm not scared about dirtying my fingers in low (register) level
> programming, if needed, but I know very little about barebox, so some
> guidance (and documentation) would be needed.

Please try this branch for your initial experiments
https://github.com/frantony/barebox/commits/20160815.mediatek

At the moment there is no PBL support for mediatek mips chips.
You can only run barebox from u-boot.

> Where can I find detailed description of needed steps?

First try to run barebox for qemu-mips-malta (big endian version is simplier).

The qemu run instruction can be found in Documentation/boards/mips/qemu-malta.rst

There is an old but stil usefull barebox mips compilation demo at youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWnX__5wJfg

For cross compiling I recommend to use Debian linux: just install gcc-mips-linux-gnu package.

> Note: I tried a "dumb compilation" (after rule-of-thumb configuration),
> but I got link error:
>
> mcon@cinderella:~/vocore/prove/barebox$
> PATH=/home/mcon/vocore/prove/mipsel-buildroot-linux-uclibc_sdk-buildroot/bin:$PATH
> make ARCH=mips CROSS_COMPILE=mipsel-linux-
>   CHK     include/generated/version.h
>   CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
>   CC      common/version.o
>   LD      common/built-in.o
>   LD      barebox
> mipsel-linux-ld: arch/mips/boot/built-in.o: in function `main_entry':
> (.text_bare_init.text+0xe4): undefined reference to `glob_fdt'
> mipsel-linux-ld: (.text_bare_init.text+0xe8): undefined reference to
> `glob_fdt'
> mipsel-linux-ld: (.text_bare_init.text+0xec): undefined reference to
> `glob_fdt_size'
> mipsel-linux-ld: (.text_bare_init.text+0xf4): undefined reference to
> `glob_fdt_size'
> Unable to open input file barebox
> make: *** [Makefile:784: barebox] Error 2
>
> ... so I'm surely missing some relevant step.
>
> Thanks in Advance
> Mauro

Best regards,
  Antony Pavlov