Re: flash barebox to NAND

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 12:27 PM Andreas Geisenhainer
<Andreas.Geisenhainer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2019-10-23 11:39 a.m., Mihaita Ivascu wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> >    I would like to know what possibilities do I have to flash a barebox
> > image to mtd partition from Linux?
> >   Using ubifs commands does not work. the barebox will not boot so
> > probably additional info needs to be written except the barebox image
> > itself.
>
> I needed to flash updates to barebox from userspace myself and struggled
> with a solution for a bit.
>
> I'm doing three things:
>
>   1) get the correct /dev-device for barebox
>   2) use `flash_erase` on that device
>   3) use `nandwrite` to write the barebox_*.img onto the device

   Thanks for your prompt reply. I already tried that but it won't
boot for me. Maybe additional info related to barebox env needs to be
written.
   I am trying by sending UTP commands from MFGtools:

UTP: received command '$ flash_erase /dev/mtd0 0 0'
UTP: executing "flash_erase /dev/mtd0 0 0"
Erasing 128 Kibyte @ 39002e0000 -- -1 % compl[    6.275463] utp_poll:
pass returned.
Erasing 128 Kibyte @ 64004e0000 -- -1 % complete
UTP: sending Success to kernel for command $ flash_erase /dev/mtd0 0 0.
UTP: received command 'send'
UTP: sending Success to kernel for command send.
UTP: received command '$ nandwrite -p /dev/mtd0 -p $FILE'
UTP: executing "nandwrite -p /dev/mtd0 -p $FILE"
Writing data to block 0 at offset 0x0
Writing data to block 1 at offset 0x20000
Writing data to block 2 at offset 0x40000
Writing data to block 3 at offset 0x60000
Writing data to block 4 at offset 0x80000
UTP: sending Success to kernel for command $ nandwrite -p /dev/mtd0 -p $FILE.
[    6.823965] utp_poll: pass returned.

  I am writing a barebox.bin using nandwrite but it seems the new
barebox(which is correct should boot) won't boot. So I am wondering if
the nandwrite command is enough?
  I know nandwrite you can use it successfully for flashing roots or
kernel on mtd partition but maybe for the bootloader is not working

Thanks,
       Mihaita