Re: Barebox support for Arm Cortex-M0 Boards

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 12:57:26 +0000
Kai Che <Kai.Che@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi!

> does barebox support any kind of Arm-Cortex M0 Boards? e.g. STM32F0 or similiar?

At the moment barebox does not support ARM-Cortex.
I suppose there is no problem to port barebox to STM32.
However STM32F0 definitely is not a preferred STM32 target chip for porting.
Barebox is intended to be a BOOTLOADER. Barebox is intended to load something into RAM.
STM32F098VC is an advanced STMF0 family chip in terms of RAM and ROM size.
STM32F098VC has 256 KB of flash ROM and 32 KB of SRAM.
I suppose that barebox can be linked to put code into flash ROM (e.g. see ROMKERNEL
option for blackfin linux kernel port) and 32 KB of RAM can be enough for data
but IMHO 32 KB is not enough for comfort and useful work.

AFAIR It is possible to run risc-v barebox (both code and data) inside 192 KB RAM memory
space in a VERY VERY MINIMAL configuration, just demo.

Barebox can be really useful on linux-capable STM32 chips and board, e.g.
STM32F429 DISCO board (https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/32f429idiscovery.html)

--
Best regards,
  Antony Pavlov