Re: bootm of 2019.01.0 doesn't load/start images

On 31.01.19 00:35, Andrey Smirnov wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 11:26 AM Kai Volkmar <kai.volkmar@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I tried to renew the barebox of an EDB9302 by 2019.01.0.
>> I used to load the new image by bootm command of the old version which
>> worked fine in at least 2018.01.0:

>>     commandline: <NULL>
>>     aÿch_number: 538
>>
>> 2019.01.0's bootm recognizes the file type but fails afterwards with

>>     handler failed with: Function not implemented
>>
>> .
>>
>> I'm not able to boot zImages by 2019.01.0's bootm as well which worked
>> with 2018.01.0 so I assume bootm is broken anywere between 2018.01.0 and
>> 2019.01.0.
>>
>> Anyway, it is possible to boot zImages by bootz.
>>
>> Could you please point me in the right direction - I'm quite new at this
>> field, maybe I'm mistaking?
>>
>> I can try other releases as well if this would be of any help.
>>
> Since you know both "good" and "bad" revisions already, doing git
> bisect would probably simplest, fastest and most straightforward way
> to figure out which commit broke things on your board. Once offending
> commit is know it should be much easier to figure out if this is a
> genuine bug or something else.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrey Smirnov

Hi Andrey,

thanks for your quick answer. I'm not familiar with git bisect yet, but
I just identified the last working and the first defective release.

18.07.2 works (as well as 18.07.0 did), 18.08.0 doesn't.

So I assume the relevant change being near

https://git.pengutronix.de/cgit/barebox/commit/?h=v2018.08.0&id=0e8bd85d9b2f981ad24847badda70c73397d8385

I'll try to get an imagination of what's going on but it seems a quit
difficult task for a beginner :-).

Best regards,
Kai