Do I really need 3 buckets for state?

Hi,

Back when I was determining how to partition the spi-nor flash on my embedded device, I reserved two erase blocks (each of size 65536) for use as a barebox state partition. I wasn't using it for anything at the time. Now I want to use it to hold bootstate information for barebox bootchooser (for use in combination with rauc to handle system updates).

I am using backend-type="raw"; backend-storage-type="circular"; and backend-stridesize=<0x40>;. It all works fine except that I get a warning from barebox:

Failed to initialize desired amount of buckets, only 2 of 3 succeeded

I have "fixed" the warning with a local patch to reduce the 'desired_buckets' constant in "common/state/backend_storage.c" from 3 to 2.

My question is, how much trouble am I letting myself in for with this local patch? I assume the state driver will only erase and update 1 bucket at a time when the buckets are full. Do I really need 3 buckets or will 2 buckets be enough?

Best regards,
Ian Abbott.

--
-=( Ian Abbott <abbotti@xxxxxxxxx> || Web: www.mev.co.uk )=-
-=( MEV Ltd. is a company registered in England & Wales. )=-