No default env without Barebox wanting to load from persistant storage

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a Barebox port for our own home made architecture used for educational purpose.

The port can be found under github.com/mh0fmann/eco32-barebox and starts
being used.

Our architecture does not have any kind of nand or nor flash that can be added used for /dev/env0 to store a environment in it but we still want to use a default compile in enivornment.

In oderder to use that one is in the in the need to activate CONFIG_ENV_HANDLING which alaways wants to load a environment from /dev/env0.

So the question is - is it not possible to just use a compile in default env without the need that barebox wants to load another env from somewhere else or did i miss something on the way?

From the code I see that CONFIG_ENV_HANDLING activates the initcall with the whole code loading the compiled in one and the one stored on persistant storage. So maybe that envfs_load(...) should also be nested in a compile time evaluation and Kconfig option to enable the loading from persistand stiorage.

I mean it still works but one always gets the message that nothing could be loaded from /dev/env0 which is true for our case because it is not there and won't be in near future. So it would be good if one could use a default compile in env without having barebox to search and load for another env on some persistent storage if not explicitly configured to do so.

If so maybe this would be a good idea to add this in a upcoming version.

Greetings,
Martin