When lots of articles *already* marked, how to find a *particular* one, etc?

In a given group, I often have a bunch of threads I'm interested in
"plussed".

Like, in the E-once mode, ie seeing only the plussed articles (ie
of the plussed threads), there's a number of pages of them, even
when each thread is L-compressed to one line per thread.

  (Yeah, yeah, yeah -- "trn's not supposed to be used that way")

Now, in that group, I search for a *particular* subject,
eg foo:

      /foo
, and trn reports

     3 articles matched, ...

QUESTION:

How do I *find* those three matches (in those several or many
pages)?

What, scanning all that stuff "by eye"?

Or by doing a copy-paste on each page, appending it to
a .txt-file, and when done, egrepping that?

    (Sure would be nice if there were a way to have a "print"
     command, that would take *all* the pages of the current
     "display", and write them to a file!
      [Can someone add that to a todo-list, please?] )

Anyway, FWIW, here's a perhaps-pertinent thread from 7 years ago:

> [...]
|
| all just said
| Interrupted
| 1 article matched.
|
| Basically, I guess I'm admitting I don't really know how / searching works in
| trn, but
| I think my attempted commands kind of make sense..
| --
| mattack@xxxxxxxxx
|

| From trn-workers-request@xxxxxxxxx Wed Mar  1 14:15:58 2000
| From: seeger@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Charles Seeger)
| Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 17:14:33 -0500
| Subject: Re: way to immediately READ messages matching a pattern?
|
| +------ Matt Ackeret wrote (Wed,  1-Mar-00, 12:27 -0800):
| | Is there some way I can automatically start reading JUST some messages that
| | match a pattern?
|
| About a year ago I started work on adding such a feature.  Someday I'll
| get around to continuing work on it, but it may be of some use to you
| as is.  The patch is agains the test70 sources rather than test72.
| If you try to use it, let me know how it goes, good, bad or indifferent.
|
| 	http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~seeger/mytrnhacks.html
|
| 	"These changes enable trn to automatically select articles of
| 	possible interest to you based on the contents of the article
| 	headers (usually the author and/or subject) using score files
| 	as well as kill files."
|
| Cheers,
| Chuck
| --
|   Charles Seeger <seeger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
|

| From trn-workers-request@xxxxxxxxx Wed Mar  1 16:29:23 2000
| To: trn-users@xxxxxxxxx
| Subject: Re: way to immediately READ messages matching a pattern?
| From: Matt Ackeret <mattack@xxxxxxxxx>
| reply-to: mattack@xxxxxxxxx
|
| On Wednesday, March 1, 2000, at 02:14 PM, Charles Seeger wrote:
|
| > +------ Matt Ackeret wrote (Wed,  1-Mar-00, 12:27 -0800):
| > | Is there some way I can automatically start reading JUST some messages that
| > | match a pattern?
| >
| > About a year ago I started work on adding such a feature.  Someday I'll
| > get around to continuing work on it, but it may be of some use to you
| > as is.  The patch is agains the test70 sources rather than test72.
| > If you try to use it, let me know how it goes, good, bad or indifferent.
| >
| > 	http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~seeger/mytrnhacks.html
| >
| > 	"These changes enable trn to automatically select articles of
| > 	possible interest to you based on the contents of the article
| > 	headers (usually the author and/or subject) using score files
| > 	as well as kill files."
|
| I'm not meaning to be rude, but this doesn't sound at all like what I'm
| talking about.
|
| I want to _interactively_ start reading NOW messages based upon a search,
| not score files..
|
| (I am not a fan of score files, though I could probably be convinced... I used
| to be anti-threaded newsreaders since most messages seemed to be in
| inappropriate threads..  But at some point I became hooked on trn rather than

| |
| | I'm not meaning to be rude, but this doesn't sound at all like what I'm
| | talking about.
|
| Sorry for the misunderstanding, Matt.
|
| | I want to _interactively_ start reading NOW messages based upon a search,
| | not score files..
|
| After reading the trn man page for this use of "#", I think that I now
| understand what you are trying to do.  That and "automatically" and "skim"
| through me off before.  Apologies for not being more careful.  Your subject
| line should have been a tip-off.
|
| +------ Matt Ackeret wrote (Wed,  1-Mar-00, 12:27 -0800):
| | Is there some way I can automatically start reading JUST some messages that
| | match a pattern?
|
| ... and not all the other currently selected articles and threads.
|
| | This way, I can still have a bunch of messages already selected (i.e. when I
| | enter a group,
| | threads I posted in are selected, or subjects I marked to auto-select, etc).. and
| | still skim other more important/interesting things.
|
| ... not manually with the thread/article selector, but with an interactively
| entered search pattern.
|
| OK.  Got it.
|
| | What I thought would work would be:
| |
| | /blah/#
| | or
| | /blah/+#  (to match JUST those and not the whole thread)
| | or
| | /blah/:#
| |
| | all just said
| | Interrupted
| | 1 article matched.
| |
| | Basically, I guess I'm admitting I don't really know how / searching works in
| | trn, but
| | I think my attempted commands kind of make sense..
|
| Yeah, they make sense to me, too, though "#" is not listed in the man page
| as one of the commands available after a pattern match.  Unless there is
| another means to accomplish this feat, it sounds like a reasonable feature
| to add, though trn needs documentation more than new features.  8-)
|
| Having been away from the code for so long, I won't immediately jump in
| to code it, but it seems worthy of adding to a ToDo list.  Alas, AFAIR,
| the way articles are marked as selected this may be more than a trivial
| addition.  Such "extra" or "temporary" selections may require new code
| to keep lists of articles, which conjures up the possiblity of keeping
| a stack of such article lists.  But, I digress.
|
| FWIW, "/blah/:#" gives me "Unknown command: #".
|
| Does anyone else have an alternative suggestion?
|
| Best,
| Chuck
| --
|   Charles Seeger <seeger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>