Order of reading articles in threads

Hi fellow trn-ites,

    When I read articles in a long thread (e.g. one with hundreds of
posts) the order in which I read the articles is not what I'd
consider very useful (I use "^N" to go to the supposed next
article in the thread).  For example, if I can see the following
in the mini-thread display :

                    \-[4]--[4]--[4]
     +-[4]--[4]--[4]--[4]
     \-[4]--[4]--[4]--[*]--[4]--[4]-

     --[4]--[4]--[4]

For a start, the article marked "*" is the first one in the group of
articles there that I'm reading.  The next article will almost certainly
*not* be the article immediately to the right of the *-ed one,
but probably some other random location in the thread.

I'd much rather read them in something like the following order
(1 = first read)
                    \-[1]--[2]--[3]
     +-[4]--[5]--[6]--[7]
     \-[8]--[9]--[A]--[B]--[C]--[D]-

     --[E]--[F]--[G]

Or even something like this :

                    \-[A]--[B]--[C]
     +-[D]--[E]--[F]--[G]
     \-[1]--[2]--[3]--[4]--[5]--[6]-

     --[7]--[8]--[9]

I realise sorting the threads in some way would be hard, but
surely even a partial sorting would let me read articles
mostly in order.

Any ideas ?  Am I missing some configuration or threading
option somewhere ?

Thanks,
   David.

--