On Wed, 28 May 2014, Michael Ellerman wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-05-27 at 01:02 -0400, Vince Weaver wrote:

> > > Yeah it's annoying for sure, maybe perf will be the last one, but at least
> > > there's a clean way to handle it if not.
> >
> > As the author of the man page that you probably got the perf ENOSYS info
> > from, I have to put out there that perf_event_open() has really
> > inconsistent and confusing error return values, and they vary among the
> > various architectures.
>
> Actually I didn't read the man page, but thanks for reminding me that it
> exists. And yes I am aware of your dislike of the perf interface.

I had just recently contributed an improved "ERRORS" section to the
perf_event_open manpage that tries to be complete, but I'm sure I missed
some corner cases.  It does document the odd choice of returning ENOSYS in
the PERF_SAMPLE_STACK_USER case.

It's a shame there isn't some sort of automated tool that could spit out
all possible system call return values, it would make it a lot easier to
keep things consistent.

Vince