On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 12:34:35PM -0700, Ildar Muslukhov wrote:
 > What do you think if we combine -l, -q and -v parameters in the following way:
 > absence of the parameter will set log level to base (1)
 > -l off will work as it is right now (logging is off)
 > -l N is setup of the level (i.e., -l 1 will be equal to the default
 > settings, where N can be from 0 to 2 as it is right now).
 >
 > This way we can simplify the log handling from source code point of
 > view. Having three parameters which might collide with each other
 > seems rather error prone.

Combining them might mean we can't express some existing use-cases though.
Verbosity of the messages to the screen vs what gets logged to disk are kind
of separate things.

Valid right now:

logging to disk, no output to screen other than seed. (-qq)
logging to disk, output seeds & watchdog progress counter (-q)
logging to disk, syscall details (no args)
logging to disk, verbose output (-v)

and 'no log' variants of all.
I'm not sure we can really express 8 possibilities into one arg and
without people needing to look up what the values represent.

	Dave