On Thu, 2013-07-11 at 12:55 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> > Other than that, a function tracer environment that is safer to use might be
> > useful for other people as well.
>
> Not sure how to make the environment safe, as the main purpose of the
> function trace is to debug those hard to debug locations, like NMIs,
> RCU, dynamic ticks, etc. To ensure a "safe" environment, it would
> cripple the tracer.
>
> Hmm, what would you state as a safe environment? How can we detect if
> the environment is safe to trace or not?

Maybe I misunderstood you. You mean to have this environment be
something for not just perf, and have the macro be:

NONSAFE_TRACE(__local_bh_enable);

?

Then, any ftrace user could set a flag in the registering of its ops to
'safe_only_functions'. And it will ignore all of these locations.
There's really not many of them, so it may not be too hard to weed out.

-- Steve