On Wed, 2013-07-03 at 23:07 -0400, Vince Weaver wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jul 2013, Michael Ellerman wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2013-07-03 at 14:43 -0400, Vince Weaver wrote:
> > >
> > > The only documentation for what to expect are the lex/yacc files in
> > > tools/perf/util/parse-events.*
> >
> > It's sort of documented here:
> >
> > Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-event_source-devices-events
> >
> > Though strictly speaking that only applies to the events listed in that
> > file, which doesn't include mem-loads.
> >
> > And it says it should be hex.
>
> now don't I look silly, I had just sent a patch to linux-kernel
> documenting the files but putting it in
>     Documentation/ABI/stable/sysfs-bus-event_source-devices
> rather than testing.  My search through git log somehow missed when this
> got added.
>
> Oh I see, it came through the Power people and not through perf_event,
> that's how I missed it.

It still went through acme's tree AFAIK, but yeah easy enough to miss.

> I guess I should complain about the non-hex value.  I'm more worried that
> the perf people are going to start leaking more complex perf-tool specific
> syntax into the files.

Nothing in there currently is specific to the perf tool, though
obviously the perf tool accepts decimal and so didn't spot the problem.

Still the best way to ensure that doesn't happen is to have a second
consumer of the API, which can spot these sort of issues.

cheers