Re: LWN.NET: Trinity keeps KDE 3 on life support

On Wed, Jun  5, 2024 at 19:49 (-0700), Mike Bird via tde-users wrote:

> On Wed June 5 2024 18:33:35 Jim via tde-users wrote:
>> Mike, how did you calculate how many files are opened by firefox?  I just
>> added up all the entries in /proc/<pid>/fd for firefox and its children
>> processes and I "only" got 1881.

>> 2256004 seems like an astonishing number.  Can you clarify this?

> Hi Jim,

> "lsof -n | grep firefox | wc -l" includes things like memory mapped libraries.

> "ps ax | grep firefox | wc -l" currently yields 78 firefox processes but
> "ps -eLf | grep firefox | wc -l" yields 2319 firefox threads.

> (This of course is nowhere near bulletproof but it'll do for now.)

> I probably have a couple hundred tabs open, across 23 firefox windows.

Thanks Mike.

I have three different firefox profiles running, and I'd guess over 100
tabs (more than I feel like counting right now).

For    lsof -n | grep firefox | wc -l    I get 882961 (which is a lot more
than I would have guessed before seeing your message, but not up in the
same range as you).

(Incidentally, I see that that the above grep catches lots of lines like
        Socket      621    ... /usr/lib64/firefox/libsoftokn3.so
and I wonder whether the above grep double-counts some things.  But maybe
that isn't a big deal anyway.)

FYI, on my system right now   ps ax | grep firefox | wc -l     gives 100,
and    ps -eLf | grep firefox | wc -l   gives 3105.

It is interesting (to me) that you have fewer threads, and yet about 2.55
times as many files opened.

For comparison, for a chromium instance with 22 tabs lsof reports 75422
files, and for 9 (collectively) urxvt terminals (with some perl extensions)
lsof reports 732 open files.  Evidently the web browser programmers are
experts at writing software that uses lots of files.  ;-)

Cheers.
                                Jim