Re: KMAIL + COMPACTING FOLDERS?

On 5/26/24 11:35 AM, Chris M via tde-users wrote:
Why do we have to compact folders in KMAIL? I never had to do that in
Evolution. Evolution doesn't even have an option for compacting folders.

Doesn't KMAIL and EVO use the same kind of mail storage?

Compacting is common with the mbox mail file format because all mails are contained within a single file. Compacting is not required with the maildir format because each mail is a single file.

I think for many years Evolution is designed to default to maildir rather than mbox.

Which format a mail client uses can be seen by browsing the user's mail directory. A maildir structure uses new, cur, and tmp directories.

The mbox format was the most popular and widely used format in the early days of mail clients.

Evolution and KMail support both formats.