Re: Having trouble changing desktops RPi 5

On Wednesday 22 May 2024 12:34:20 dep via tde-users wrote:
> said William Morder via tde-users:
> | On Wednesday 22 May 2024 11:47:43 dep via tde-users wrote:
> | > Funny thing during this TV project is how easy it is to forget I'm
> | > running a perfectly ordinary computer with a great big screen.
> |
> | Wow, I had practically forgot about that. I guess that it's probably not
> | your everyday machine.
>
> I put a USB drive into the port of my TCL-Roku TV and up popped a window
> saying that they intended to share its contents with its "partners." Then
> I read Roku's privacy policy. I said screw this and decided to take the
> television's internet privileges away. So all I'm using now are the screen
> and its audio-handling -- ARC and CEC circuits. This worked out well
> enough that I made another, with just a monitor instead of a TV at all. It
> is different in operation, but in my estimation better. and far more
> private.

I actually don't have any television at all. It wasn't a righteous act to free
myself from the influence of mass media, just that my television died and
couldn't be repaired, and I didn't want to get one of those newer models that
can't work without internet.

Then I started downloading whatever shows I still wanted to watch, which are
mostly public television, anyway. Linux users will of course know the best
tricks, and one can still get good stuff without sacrificing their security
and privacy.

And then, something strange happened. Once I had the shows downloaded, I
almost never watched them. I have occsionally watched a film, or some
documentary or special report, but in the past year or so I doubt that I have
watched more than about one show per month on average.

Now my peace of mind is not disturbed by useless information or somebody
trying to sell me something, nor do I worry too much about events that are
beyond my control.

Also I find that I have no lack of things to occupy my time, and that I now
have time to spare, to start reading actual books again, to get back into
music, to do things that I have put off for years and years.

I recommend that everybody go home and kill their television sets. Don't wait
too long.

Bill