Re: Monitors plural gamma channels plural?

said Mike Bird via tde-users:

| I have been trying and failing to get my three monitors,
| two of which are ancient and all of which are different,
| to produce matching colors.  I'm using the NVIDIA non-free
| driver.

Can't be done. Not even with one of those cool, expensive gadgets that read
color off the screen and provide details. *Might* be done if your monitors
of the same model, made on the same day in the same batch, but even that
is not certain. I've spent many hours trying to do this -- I've made
pictures for a living for a long time. There are expensive trick
calibrated monitors, but even they are of limited value unless you're
doing pictures for print. That's because if you're doing pictures for
online display, whatever you put up is going to be subject to the vagaries
of the viewers' monitors.

I have two fairly expensive 27-inch monitors here, one above the other.
(The combination of the Nvidia software and XR&R lets me have one apparent
1920x2160 screen.) One is irredeemably warmer and of less contrast than
the other. Which is to some extent a blessing, because when I get a
picture right in one I then look at it in the other to get a sense of the
variety of screens that are likely to be used in viewing it.

There is a degree of hope. For my DIY smart television project I got a
cheap -- $160 -- 32-inch ONN monitor at Walmart last week. First, it has
as close to usable onboard controls as I've ever seen: a little joystick
on the back. Second, and more important, it has DDC plus extended commands
from the computer. This means I can adjust the monitor settings from the
computer itself, rather than have the computer and the monitor competing.
It *should* give me a recipe that can then be taken from monitor to
monitor, though I haven't tested the result of that.

Then there's the fact that monitors themselves, expecially their
illumination, degrades over time and to make it worse it does so at
different rates not just monitor-to-monitor but
specimen-to-identical-specimen. So identical settings on identical
monitors are likely to change, at different rates, over time.
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://ofb.biz/author/dep/