Re: LWN.NET: Trinity keeps KDE 3 on life support

On Tuesday 21 May 2024 16:05:09 deloptes via tde-users wrote:
> William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> > The categories are inspired by deloptes' earlier comment, two kinds of
> > people, smart and dumb.
> >
> > By the way, there are only two kinds of anything, really, when you think
> > about it, good or bad: good music or bad music, good food or bad food,
> > good beer or bad beer ...
> >
> > Everything else is just a matter of degree, exactly how good or how bad.
>
> Exactly right - this is the binary nature of the universe. From the POV of
> epistemology we could add "I don't know", but from the POV of ontology it
> is irrelevant and everything would fall into one of those categories.
>
> There are still few things that need improvement in TDE though - it ain't
> perfect

People get too hung up on the power of reviews, but don't think critically
about how that system used to be structured.

There was a time when reviews might have actually meant something; but even
that is questionable. Back in the newspaper days, an *individual* food critic
or music critic might give a subject 1-5 stars, in which case it meant
something. Whether one agreed with the critic's judgment or not is another
matter, but at least it was clear what that review meant.

When we get masses of people all trying to give 1-5 star reviews, it actually
screws up the system, and gives us false readings.

I worked some jobs (many years ago) where people would review our work, 1-5
stars. But we found out very quickly, with so many people making their
own "reviews" (really, just votes), that there was one BIG problem with the
system.

To get anything less than 4 or 5 stars was like a death sentence: might as
well get just 1 star, because it messed up your numbers, and anybody who
wasn't regularly pulling an average of 4.5 stars or better would be cut out
of the loop, stop getting work, which affected income, life, everything.

If people had just voted yes or no, good or bad, that would give truer
results. 85% positive is better than saying your work gets 4.89 stars out of
5, especially if those "reviewers" are really just customers or clients, who
moreover have had somebody beg them not to give less than 5 stars, or at the
very least, not less than 4 stars.

It reminds me of that radio show that we used to have here in the US, Prairie
Home Companion, where in Garrison Keillor's imaginary hometown, "all the
children are above average"!

Bill