Re: Complete TDE install

On 5/21/24 2:06 AM, Felix Miata via tde-users wrote:
How to install TDE pages for each distro are all about the same. e.g.
<https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Debian_Trinity_Repository_Installation_Instructions>
includes this language:

	sudo aptitude install tde-trinity

Just above it in highlight is the following:

[quote]Warning!
tde-trinity package is a comprehensive meta-package. To install a minimalist
environment, replace tde-trinity with tdebase-trinity in the instructions
below.[/quote]

Sounds good enough. I have no plans to use Debian. All I want is a complete TDE install. Slackware is notably absent from the list of distros offering anything close to a full TDE install. I hope to work toward resolving that, but I need a full install to start comparing.

Second, I am interested in how much a full TDE conflicts with a full KDE. Slackware comes with a full KDE install.

For the curious, along with the recent discussions about TDE keeping KDE3 on "life support," one of my guesses that keeps TDE restrained from wider adoption is living in /opt purgatory. I have posted my share of questions regarding this dilemma. TDE is not well designed to coexist with other DEs and this can be seen in the complexity of starttde, incomplete *.desktop files, etc. I filed bug reports about this well back into the first days of TDE.

I suspect many TDE users do not experience conflicts with other DEs because they only use TDE. That's fine and not a point of contention. Those who use multiple DEs or have computers with multiple users run into snags trying to massage TDE with the DEs.

I am not a coder, but one way or another I suspect the only way to move forward is somebody collecting notes to help move TDE back to /usr land. Hence the request for a full TDE install environment. :)