Re: kate question ...

On Tuesday 14 May 2024 12:56:37 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:
> Anno domini 2024 Tue, 14 May 12:13:39 -0700
>

> > In any case, it *seems* like something like this ought to work, if only
> > you can find the right config file. There are also some with a different
> > extension, .kcfg, that I find in the newer releases, no longer plaintext
> > files but rather something like xml, maybe? In any case, I looked there:
> > /opt/trinity/share/config.kcfg
> > and on my machine (running Devuan Daedalus) there is no .kcfg file for
> > kate. Whether or not these can be modified by the ordinary user, I don't
> > know. But if so, it may be possible to write your own. There are .kcfg
> > files for other similar Trinity apps, such as kedit.
>
> Neither is on my machine.
>
> > I haven't yet tried to modify these, don't know if it's possible, but I
> > believe maybe there, or by changing lines in another such -rc file, your
> > hopes can at last be fulfilled, all your dreams come true.
>
> Can you make the toolbar disappear permanently on your system?
>

> Nik

You ask for things never attempted. I don't actually use kate. I use kedit and
other basic Linux text editor apps. Maybe it's because I don't do any real
coding to speak of, only the occasional hack to my system.

At present, this is how my kate looks. (See attachment for screenshot.) The
only toolbar is the basic menu. If you want to get rid of that, too, I will
have to poke around to see what happens.

Otherwise, my kate is probably the same as way back in about 2006-2008, when I
first got into Linux, then soon thereafter discovered the KDE3 desktop. Like
I said, I never use kate, or don't remember using it. I probably tried it
out, but it didn't suit me.

If you like, I will make a few experiments; once I find out what config file
has those settings, that is, and make a backup. But if you also want the menu
bar to disappear, that may be impossible, as deloptes points out in separate
response, if, or because, (quoting here): "corresponding code to read the
value and use it in the code"; I don't know about that, as I am not a
developer, don't mess around with code.

Bill