Alternative E-mail provider (off topic)

Dear TDE list,

Sorry, this may be off topic. I am looking for an email provider that is not Google, Yahoo or Apple. Recently, these providers have tightened the ability to forward e-mail as detailed in this article by UW:

https://itconnect.uw.edu/tools-services-support/it-systems-infrastructure/emailinf/email-forwarding/?mkt_tok=MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGSH2koSlJqfiVulEEx-TcH1u91w0M7lcuK7GszHvc4XJSw3ija-PLDvk_RyUJcHaXxkyTTCCATxXvyemC4JZEGXOluE8hZziKJTzVTJyxR_WsLwN4C

In particular, I am looking for the following:

1) Ability to access through IMAP

2) Ability to set up automatic forwarding while leaving one copy of a message in the INBOX

3) Possibly free or low cost with enough storage > 1 GB and ability to have attachments >= 25 MB.

I have been looking at AOL and GMX. AOL is now owned by Yahoo, so it may have the same issues. GMX is attractive especially since it allows attachments up 250 GB. However, I wonder whether e-mails sent through GMX have to go all the way to Germany and then back to the US (making the process slow)? Or does GMX mail have servers all over the world including the US? Any other recommendations?

Also, I would like to use IMAP using Alpine and I read that "Alpine also assumes that the Inbox is located at /var/spool/mail/user_name on the email SMTP server":

https://opensource.com/article/21/5/alpine-linux-email

I am curious whether today's e-mail providers store their e-mails in a /var/spool/mail/ folder.

Thanks!

     Gianluca

Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    +1 (206) 685 4435
                    http://gianluca.today/research/

Department of Bioengineering
University of Washington, Seattle WA U.S.A.