Re: Qt5 software in TDE

On Friday 08 March 2024 20:39:04 Darrell Anderson via tde-users wrote:
> On 3/8/24 10:16 PM, Hunter Graham via tde-users wrote:
> > I found a port of the Plastik style to Qt5 and Qt6 a while back. Seems
> > like as good a time as any to share the love.
>
> My same reply as previous -- Qt5 apps are not necessarily KDE. Two such
> tools I use are Goldendict and QuiteRss. They are not KDE tools and have
> no KDE library dependencies.

Somewhere ... somewhere ... there are at least 3 or 4 separate threads that
discuss this issue, or what I believe to be the issue that you're discussing.

A few of us have, in the past, recommended adding the gist of this information
to our help pages, as it begins to seem like there is an echo in here.

The rest of this post is copied from earlier posts, and consolidated here.

Bill

P.S. how to

For these instructions, I will assume that you are running Debian or Devuan or
a similar OS. If it is not a deb system, then, you will need to adjust
accordingly. But from what I have heard from others, these steps ought to
work. It may be that some things have changed or been upgraded, but aptitude,
for instance, will tell you that.

#1, using apt-get, aptitude, synaptic, or however you install packages, you
want to get these:

qt5ct qt5-assistant qca-qt5-2-utils qdbus-qt5 qdoc-qt5 qps qt5-default*
qt5-flatpak-platformtheme qt5-gtk-platformtheme qt5-image-formats-plugins
qt5-qmake qt5-qmake-bin qt5-qmltooling-plugins qt5-style-plugins

You may want to check out these threads:
"how to force TDE colors in non-TDE apps?"
and especially the sequel:
"how to force TDE colors in non-TDE apps? SOLVED"
2021-01-18 or thereabouts
(an exchange mostly between E.Liddell and myself).

But here is the gist of it:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/706528/qt-apps-stopped-inheriting-gtk-themes/748186#748186
https://web.archive.org/web/20201111174652/https://askubuntu.com/questions/706528/qt-apps-stopped-inheriting-gtk-themes/748186#748186
wherein are unlocked the mysteries of qt5ct in a single line.

*NOTE that other pages gave information which was either contradictory or at
least unclear, leaving me frustrated and unable to figure out where
in /home/<USER>/.profile to insert the line for qt. So for other Trinity
users out there who may want to use the look of their TDE and color outside
the lines when using non-TDE apps, this is what actually worked for me.*

After installing qt5ct and whatever other packages (more for developers), run
this command:
sudo sh -c "echo 'export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=gtk2' >> /etc/environment"

Open qt5ct and choose according to personal preferences, then reboot. The user
will now have TDE colors and themes in non-TDE applications. It will also run
gtk2 and gtk3, and lots of other good stuff. It seems like it will work for
other desktops, as well, as others say.

For most users, this will probably take care of their needs.

It sounds like this is what you're looking for. E.Liddell pointed me in this
direction, and the rest I nicked from the webpage mentioned above.

I hope this helps!

Bill