Re: Crash tde-trinity after migration

On Sun December 24 2023 10:15:47 ajh-valmer via tde-users wrote:
> On Sunday 24 December 2023 15:28:39 Mike Bird via tde-users wrote:
> > On Sun December 24 2023 04:36:33 ajh-valmer via tde-users wrote:
> > > I made migration from Debian Bullseye to Bookworm.
> > > At reboot, the desktop tde doesn't open.
> > > Synaptic tells me that they are broken tde-trinity packages.
> > > What to do to repair them ?
> > > And impossible to uninstall and reinstall  tde-trinity.
> >
> > If there are broken tde-trinity packages now then they were
> > presumably also broken before the reboot so one tip would be
> > to avoid rebooting while your Debian install is broken.
> > A broken system might never return from a reboot.
>
> Thanks Mike, Sorry for all this miles of lines below :
> > What is the output of "dpkg -l | grep -v '^ii'"? :
>
> rc  amarok-common-trinity                   4:14.1.2~pre15-0debian11.0.0+1
> all          architecture independent files for Amarok [Trinity]
<snip>

Lots like this suggests that during dist-upgrade it asked if you were OK
with removing a bunch of packages and you said yes.

//

> > What is the output of "apt --dry-run autoremove"? :
>
> Les paquets suivants seront ENLEVÉS :
>   akregator-trinity amor-trinity ark-trinity arts-trinity
<snip>

Same conclusion as (1) above.

//

> > (2) Let's see if your system can fix itself without network:
> >     Does "dpkg --configure -a" fix it? :
>
> No answer

That's good.

//

> > (3) Otherwise let's see if apt can figure it out:
> >       "grep -r --exclude='*~' . /etc/apt/sources.list*"? :
<snip>
> /etc/apt/sources.list:deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bookworm main
> non-free contrib
> /etc/apt/sources.list:deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bookworm main
> non-free contrib
> /etc/apt/sources.list:# bookworm security
> /etc/apt/sources.list:# deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security
> bookworm-security main contrib non-free
> /etc/apt/sources.list:deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security
> bookworm-security main contrib non-free
> /etc/apt/sources.list:deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security
> bookworm-security contrib non-free
> /etc/apt/sources.list:# bookworm-updates
> /etc/apt/sources.list:deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bookworm-updates
> main contrib non-free
> /etc/apt/sources.list:deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/
> bookworm-updates main contrib non-free
> /etc/apt/sources.list:# bookworm-proposed-updates
> /etc/apt/sources.list:deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/
> bookworm-proposed-updates main contrib non-free
> /etc/apt/sources.list:deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/
> bookworm-proposed-updates main contrib non-free
> /etc/apt/sources.list:# bookworm-backports
> /etc/apt/sources.list:deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bookworm-backports
> main contrib non-free
> /etc/apt/sources.list:deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/
> bookworm-backports main contrib non-free
<snip>

The output is hard to read (as expected).  You may want to add
non-free-firmware to the bookworm lines.  See release notes:
https://www.debian.org/releases/bookworm/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#non-free-firmware

//

> >     Does "apt update" complete without errors? :
>
> Atteint :1 http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm InRelease
> Réception de :2 http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm-updates InRelease
> [52,1 kB]
> Réception de :3 http://security.debian.org/debian-security
> bookworm-security InRelease [48,0 kB]
> Atteint :4 https://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable InRelease
> Réception de :5 http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm-proposed-updates
> InRelease [59,5 kB]
> Réception de :6 http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm-backports InRelease
> [56,5 kB]
> Atteint :7
> http://galileo.mirrorservice.org/sites/trinitydesktop.org/trinity/deb/trini
>ty-r14.1.x bookworm InRelease
> 216 ko réceptionnés en 3s (84,1 ko/s)
> Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
> Construction de l'arbre des dépendances... Fait
> Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
> Tous les paquets sont à jour.
> W:
> http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/deb/trinity-r14.1.x/dists/book
>worm/InRelease: Key is stored in legacy trusted.gpg keyring
> (/etc/apt/trusted.gpg), see the DEPRECATION section in apt-key(8) for
> details.
> N: Plus d'information disponible dans la note de mise à jour ici :
> https://www.debian.org/releases/bookworm/amd64/release-notes/ch-information
>.html#non-free-split ===================================

Should be OK for now but some time you'll want to clean out your
legacy keys.

//

> [...]
> kompare-trinity konquest-trinity
>   konsolekalendar-trinity kontact-trinity kooka-trinity korn-trinity
> kpackage-trinity kpat-trinity
>   kpercentage-trinity kpoker-trinity kpovmodeler-trinity krec-trinity
> kreversi-trinity kruler-trinity
>   ksame-trinity ksayit-trinity kscd-trinity kshisen-trinity ksim-trinity
> ksirtet-trinity ksmiletris-trinity
>   ksnake-trinity ksnapshot-trinity ksokoban-trinity kspaceduel-trinity
> kstars-data-trinity kstars-trinity
>   ksvg-trinity ksysv-trinity ktimer-trinity ktnef-trinity ktouch-trinity
> ktron-trinity kttsd-trinity
>   ktuberling-trinity kturtle-trinity kuickshow-trinity kuser-trinity
> kverbos-trinity kview-trinity
>   kviewshell-trinity kvoctrain-trinity kwordquiz-trinity kxsldbg-trinity
> libarts1-audiofile-trinity
>   libarts1-mpeglib-trinity libarts1-xine-trinity libboost-python1.74.0
> libcvsservice0-trinity libdb5.3++
>   libestools2.5 libflac8 libfsverity0 libgraphicsmagick-q16-3 libidn11
> libilmbase25 libindex0-trinity
>   libiso9660-11 libjs-jquery libkgantt0-trinity libkiten1-trinity
> libkscan1-trinity libksieve0-trinity
>   libldap-2.4-2 libmariadb3 libmimelib1c2a-trinity libmp4v2-2 libnjb5
> libopenexr25 libpoppler-tqt libpq5
>   librpmbuild9 librpmsign9 librss1-trinity libruby libruby2.7 libruby3.1
> libtdeedu3-trinity
>   libtdegames1-trinity libtiff-tools libtiff5 libusb-0.1-4 libva-glx2
> libvcdinfo0 libxine2 libxine2-bin
>   libxine2-ffmpeg libxine2-misc-plugins libxine2-plugins libxine2-x
> lskat-trinity mariadb-common
>   mpeglib-trinity mysql-common noatun-trinity quanta-data-trinity
> quanta-trinity rake rpm ruby ruby-minitest
>   ruby-net-telnet ruby-power-assert ruby-rubygems ruby-sdbm ruby-test-unit
> ruby-webrick ruby-xmlrpc ruby3.1
>   rubygems-integration sudo-trinity superkaramba-trinity synaptic-trinity
> tde-icons-mono-trinity
>   tdeadmin-tdefile-plugins-trinity tdeadmin-trinity
> tdeartwork-style-trinity tdeartwork-theme-icon-trinity
>   tdeartwork-theme-window-trinity tdeartwork-trinity tdednssd-trinity
> tdeedu-data-trinity tdeedu-trinity
>   tdefifteen-trinity tdefilereplace-trinity tdegames-card-data-trinity
> tdegames-trinity
>   tdegraphics-tdefile-plugins-trinity tdegraphics-trinity
> tdeiconedit-trinity tdelirc-trinity tdemid-trinity
>   tdemultimedia-kappfinder-data-trinity
> tdemultimedia-tdefile-plugins-trinity tdemultimedia-trinity
>   tdenetwork-tdefile-plugins-trinity tdepim-tdefile-plugins-trinity
> tdepim-tdeio-plugins-trinity tdepim-trinity
>   tdepim-wizards-trinity tdepowersave-trinity tdescreensaver-trinity
> tdescreensaver-xsavers-trinity
>   tdessh-trinity tdeutils-trinity tdewalletmanager-trinity
> tdewallpapers-trinity tdewebdev-trinity tex-gyre
>   texlive-fonts-recommended texlive-latex-base tipa ttf-sjfonts
> twin4-trinity unison unison-2.52 vorbis-tools
> Veuillez utiliser « apt autoremove » pour les supprimer.
> 0 mis à jour, 0 nouvellement installés, 0 à enlever et 0 non mis à jour.

This fits with what we saw above.

//

> > Also, what is the output of "apt-cache policy | wc -l"?
> > (I'm asking this to get an idea of how complicated your
> > preferences are before asking for the output of
> > "apt-cache policy" which might run to hundreds of lines.) :
>
> 40

Great.

//

> If I boot with kernel 6.1.0-16, this is a kernel panic.
> With the kernel 6.1.0-0, no kernel panic, boot ok.
> Once again, Mike, sorry for all these lines to read above.

No problem.  Let's stick with the good kernel for now!

(4) Let's check your apt policies:

    What is the output of "apt-cache policy":

(5) And let's see why TDE won't re-install:

    Try "apt --dry-run install --reinstall $(dpkg -l | grep '^rc' |
awk '{print $2}')".

    I can't test that here because my machine isn't in the same
    state as yours but take a look at what it does and if it looks
    OK try it again without the "--dry-run" and if appropriate post
    the output.

--Mike