Re: Can't find how to regenerate applications menu

On 11/20/23 20:42, William Morder via tde-users wrote:

On Monday 20 November 2023 18:02:38 SuperRyn via tde-users wrote:
On 11/20/23 19:58, Mike Bird via tde-users wrote:
On Mon November 20 2023 17:46:01 SuperRyn via tde-users wrote:
I didn't like how cluttered the menus were, so I deleted some of the
folders. I am now regretting this decision and wish to reverse it; but I
can't find any options like that in KMenuEdit or other places. How do I
do this?
It kinda depends exactly what you deleted.

I would try re-installing the affected packages.

Depending on your distro it might be easier to re-install either all
packages or all TDE packages.

--Mike
Surely there's something that runs on the first start of Trinity that
generates the menus, right? I really don't want to reinstall anything.
Also, the distro I run is Debian 12.2, fyi [I deleted about half of the
menus]
Same thing happened to me, been maybe a few years ago by now, and I would
really like to regenerate the original start menus.

It's one of my very few complaints about TDE. It seems to me that it must have
something to do with the lower panel. (Or, for me it's the lower panel; I
guess users can put it where they want, which sort of leads to the problems I
just mentioned.)

Whenever I unlock the lower panel, I tend to make whatever changes quickly,
then lock it again immediately. Otherwise, I accidentally hit the wrong
command (don't know what), or a click on something unintentionally (again,
don't know what I do here), and next thing I know, the lower panel and its
icons are all askew. The panel sometimes gets moved from the lower part of
the screen to one side or another, which is really bad, maybe sometimes on
top. And everything gets messed up, then I must spend some time putting
everything right again.

In order to make changes to the applications menu, you must unlock the lower
panel; thus, I imagine, it's related to that issue about locking/unlocking
the lower panel.

I assume that we mean the same thing: the start menu button, and the list of
applications that pops up when you click the start menu icon. If not, please
correct me, as that's a separate issue.

Anyway, at bottom, same problem, I think. I have whole categories (such as
Internet) that have disappeared from my start menu. I have tried to replace
them manually, tried to find some way to regenerate them, to restore them to
their original state, but no luck.

Bill

Someone else gave me the solution, so I thought that I would give it to you.
1. mv ~/.config/menus/applications-tdemenuedit.menu
applications-tdemenuedit.menu.bak
2. tdebuildsycoa --noincremental
This should fix this issue.