Re: 14.1.1 Development Upgrade woes

On Wednesday 20 September 2023 14:18:51 ajh-valmer via tde-users wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 September 2023 15:51:07 Michael Howard via tde-users wrote:
> > Upgraded to 14.1.1 [Development] and now the system is pretty CRAP.
> > Can only have one 'Desktop', can't move any windows around the screen
> > (but can use/interact with them in any other way). 'konsole' app looks
> > weird (borderless).
> > Have moved old .trinity out of the way but no difference.
> > Anybody seen the likes before?
>
> Yes :
> Maybe it doesn't come from Trinity, but an error during upgrade
> installation. One day, I had this kind of crap two times (Debian, Ubuntu).
> I had forgotten to stop an upgrade with cron,
> mixing two Ubuntu and Debian version systems, error irrecoverable.
> One solution, a complete re-installation.
> Good luck to repair.

Also running Devuan Daedalus here, and yes, I did hit more than the usual
bumps along the way. Definitely not the relatively smooth upgrade experience
to which I have become accustomed.

In my case, however, I was already noticing that some things weren't working
like normal, and I've been impatient to upgrade, so I tried out one of their
testing releases, only a week or two before the stable version was released.
I have downloaded this stable version, and plan to give that a try over the
next few days, hoping that any problems will be resolved.

In my own case, at least, for what it's worth, I would guess that it is an
issue with Devuan, but I must wait to judge until after I have installed the
official stable release.

Bill

P.S. Regarding these problems or issues themselves, they seem more like bugs
that need to be chased down by somebody out there.

For example:
* external hard drives are now very unpredictable; I don't know whether I can
write to them or not, and I have taken to leaving them unmounted unless I am
actually actively using them.
* commands such as alt-tab have stopped working altogether  (to switch
displays from one application to another within the same window)
* klipper, the TDE clipboard, now will not open a browser window (doesn't
matter what browser)
* my external keyboard won't work at all for many basic functions, though I
can still use it to write (for instance, this email)

There are a slew of other similar issues; these are what I remember, just off
the top of my head. Somehow, I believe, they are all of a piece; I didn't
have any of these problems before, and I hadn't changed anything in my
system, except for the upgrade itself, when these problems appeared.