Re: cups/tde?

On Saturday 02 September 2023 20.50:38 E. Liddell wrote:

> Notice the protocol on those URLs?  dnssd = DNS Service Discovery.  Which
> is what avahi does.  Therefore, without avahi, it's no surprise your system
> can't
>
> find the printers.  By contrast, Nikolaus has:
> >DeviceURI ipp://drucker/printers/MFCJ5320DW
>
> which is a different non-avahi protocol.  I have:
>
> DeviceURI socket://192.168.1.104
>
> which again is not avahi-dependent.
>
> Your setup, while not incorrect in the strict sense, is relying on
> automagic that's difficult to fix when it breaks.
>
> E. Liddell

So if I replaced the dnssd with the DeviceURL it would work? I'll make a
backup and try  when I have time.

The setup is what MX does - I just added the printers in CUPS. Just
reinstalling a printer after removing avahi does not change the way the URL
is written, so it must be something deeper un the system.

That said, avagi seems to work well here.

Thierry