Re: Problems since Bookworm migration, root rights

On 7/11/23 14:03, ajh-valmer via tde-users wrote:
Hello,
Since migration to Bookworm,
I cannot modifiy all the files :
/opt/trinity/share/apps/kdesktop/Desktop/....
I receive this message :
"cannot make a save copy of the original document".
Of cource, I changed the rights with chmod 775,
the message is the same.
On my other computer with Bullseye, never had this message,
and the rights are 755.
What happens ?
Thanks, Cheers,
André

I had a hell of a time with similar unexplained problems. Perhaps associated with the acl implementation debian isn't talking about.

But I'm guessing from limited clues here. Hopefully you have enough space to contain 2 copys of the contents of Desktop.

See if you can create a new directory beside Desktop for starters.
If that works, then see if you can make a full copy of Desktop to this new directory. See man cp for howto.

If that works, please verify its complete, then convert Desktop to a link to this new directory. I think mv can do that, but check its man page. The downer for that IIRC is that the space occupied by the original Desktop is hidden under that link and not easily recoverable.

What you just did was create that whole path under bookworm permission rules. It /might/ fix the problem. If not, disable the link and your old Desktop is restored.

To get perms for my Pictures directory, it took the changes in the June 29th version of digiKam-8.1.0-beta to fix it so I could download pix I could see from my camera, up till then the download button didn't work and a permissions error was reported in the shell that started digiKam. The failure was total, the error report was maybe 5% of the time, but if I created a new directory, it Just Worked. Any method I could conjure up to checks perms left me totally in the dark. Everything checked, but old one created under bullseye didn't work, new one create by bookworm did.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis