Persistent configuration of multihead screen

Running R14.0.12 on Ubuntu 20.04

I have two 1920x1080 monitors that I use as one 3840x1080 X screen. On startup, TDM has the left and right monitors "swapped". I can manually rearrange them once I'm logged in, but that's annoying. Especially because the configuration program does something weird to the color map on one monitor, so I have to logout and log back in.

It would be nice to have a "save configuration" option when doing a manual setup, but I suspect the developers have more important things to do  ;-)

I've found two suggestions for solving this problem. One is to add an xrandr command to my .xinitrc (which I don't actually have at the moment), and the other is to put a configuration into xorg.conf (which I also don't have now. And which worries me a bit, because the structure of /etc/X11 has changed quite a bit since I last had to fiddle with it, years ago. The Ubuntu installer developers have gotten really good at getting it right automagically...)

The latter seems preferable, since it would bring TDM up in the proper configuration, but it's not clear whether I'd need to do a complete X configuration with all the various devices in it.

If you have some experience with this, please let me know;
a. whether TDM will freak out if I do an xrandr in the middle of login
b. how much of an x configuration I need to create to position the monitors, or
c. whether there's a TDM config file I can fiddle to make it arrange the monitors.

Thanks,

Ran