security warnings - possibly off-topic

Some of this post may be off-topic, in that it started with a security alert
for Devuan; this led me to run some scans of my own system, just to make sure
something bad hasn't crept in while I was relaxing, and staying offline most
of the time.

That Devuan alert is here:
https://linuxiac.com/devuan-users-are-at-risk/
https://web.archive.org/web/20230429000520/https://linuxiac.com/devuan-users-are-at-risk/

I did check my system, and login as root is disabled. At present, I am the
only user on any of my machines or devices, and this is usually how it goes
for me. If others want to get on the internet or whatever, let them bring
their own box. So anyway, I believe that I am probably okay there.

But then I decided to run a full scan of my system (still running). When I ran
klamav, I got some surprising hits, and some of these look like they ought to
be important enough for TDE users to know about. Thus my justification for
including the off-topic stuff as well.

I am not worried about the OpenOffice/LibreOffice extension, as it is
quarantined and I don't use it, but I am curious about what it is, and if it
is not perhaps a false positive. Also, I don't care about old emails that are
marked as having a spoofed domain. They're archived; someday I'll dig out
what they are and why I kept them.

What I am most concerned about are those .deb files that I downloaded. The
clamav testfiles are supposed to ring the bell, I will guess, because they
are made to test the program. But the other files are the boot image, so I
wonder if that's normal for the boot image to set off the alarms in my
antivirus program?

Bill

P.S. By the way: thanks to developers for adding klamav back to the great
tools available from the old KDE3. I have been missing klamav, because it is
much more customizable than other frontends for clamav. There is one called
clamtk that sorta worked, but I didn't like it.