Re: how to stop Konqueror from recreating unused folders?

On Sunday 16 April 2023 10:16:17 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:
> Hi Bill!
>
> Anno domini 2023 Sun, 16 Apr 08:49:17 -0700
>
>  William Morder via tde-users scripsit:
> > Seems like it ought to be easy enough, especially as it's never happened
> > before, if memory serves me.
> >
> > It's just that there are some folders I don't ever use, or which I have
> > already named myself; for example, my folders have always been named in
> > lower case, but now Konqueror is trying to do my thinking for me, so it
> > has created duplicate empty folders such as Music, Templates, Videos,
> > etc., whereas mine are named music, templates, videos, without the upper
> > case. It doesn't rename my folders, or mess with them, it just adds
> > folders that I don't need, have never used, and don't want, but whenever
> > I try to delete them, Konqueror immediately recreates these folders
> > again.
> >
> > I don't know how I got it like this, as I set up my system like this back
> > in about the years 2006-2008, when I was running KDE3. I want to keep
> > things as I had them. I don't want these duplicates, and don't want just
> > to surrender and rename all my folders in upper case, because that means
> > I would have to go searching through my system for changed file paths.
> >
> > Anybody have a clue how to change this behavior in Konqueror?  Thanks for
> > any help or suggestions!
>
> These come from xdg-somthing-settings. You can use tde control center ->
> system settings -> paths to change them. Set the folders you don't like to
> your home directory, log out and in again, then "rmdir ~/*" to get rid of
> all those empty folders.
>
> alternative: edit .config/user-dirs.dirs by hand, works just the same :)
>
> Nik
>
> > Bill

Greetings, Nik!

I believe I know the underlying cause of this behavior, which is that I just
reinstalled my OS. It's been months and months and months, since I've done a
reinstallation, but I had a few nagging issues that wouldn't go away, and I
decided it was time to do a little housecleaning. But I think I probably
forgot about using the TDE control center to manage those paths.

We'll see what happens here. I was pretty sure it couldn't be too hard,
because it's been almost 20 years running my system like this, can't remember
this happening before.

Bill