Re: Unwanted Device Manager in Panel

On Saturday 01 April 2023 17:45:28 Mike Bird via tde-users wrote:
> On Sat April 1 2023 17:19:59 Michael via tde-users wrote:
> > Screen cap so we can see what you're talking about?
>
> Screen cap attached.  Left is TDE background, center is Panel, right
> is Main Panel.  There's also an External Toolbar which is not shown.
> The green thing with the blue circle with the white "i" is the thing
> of interest.  Mouse is hovering over it in order to display tooltip.
>
> > And what's on its About?
>
> The About calls it "Device Monitor 0.1" and the tooltip as shown in
> the screen cap shows "Device Monitor".  Otherwise it contains lots of
> mentions of "Device Manager".  Maybe this thing monitors devices and
> offers to invoke Device Manager on volumes which are not mounted.
> Specifically it is a tdehwdevicetray process.

I sorta figured that you would have already discovered those other suspects.

Okay, so I don't have a solution, but I did come up with a little more info,
just by poking around my own system. The item in question is apparently named
tdehwdevicetray; so, on the assumption that it was actually an app that could
be uninstalled, then reinstalled again,

I tried to uninstall it, got the message "Unable to locate package
tdehwdevicetray"; so I thought, maybe it's part of some other package, and I
tried to remove it as tdehwdevicetray*, but still no luck. I tried searching
for it by apt-cache search, still nothing.

For what it's worth, I included a screenshot of where it occurs in my start
menu, but otherwise I am striking out.

Bill