Re: drop-in ubuntu replacements?

On Thursday 09 March 2023, Dan Youngquist via tde-users was heard to
say:
> Well, I should've said I really want to stay with Debian for
> compatibility, if at all possible.  If some program, driver, etc.,
> is available for only one distro, it's almost always Debian.

Ok. If I may jump in with a thing or two.

Yes, perpetual upgrades from version to version works on Debian.
Although a clean install has its benefits I've only _had_ to do so
when going to a new primary HD.

You're not going to be able to jump from Ubuntu to Debian without a
fresh install.

What you can do is zip you home directory, including the .directories,
and then restore the needed ones to the new install.
So .trinity, .ssh, and so on. Here's my list from my annual backup
scripts:

	zip -r -9 curt-dotfiles-20211231.zip .bash* .confi* .csh* .cla*
	 .fon* .gnu* .mozi* .report* .ss* .Sky* .trin*

Restoring your entire ~/.trinity directory tree will restore your TDE
settings and application data.

Save a list of currently installed packages:
	dpkg --get-selections >selections.list

Ubuntu doesn't use all the same package names, but having this list
will save you lots of guessing in the future.

When you do your Debian install, you can choose to do a full desktop
install with xfce, for example, and then use that to jump to TDE, or
you can do the install with no GUI and TDE will pull in all the
needed GUI packages. I've done both, Doing GUI up front is easier.
Having an unused xfce doesn't take up much space.

So now you have your fresh Debian.

Restore your .trinity, .ssh, and any other files and ~/.directories
that look useful. I use custom .bash* files for a cute cursor.

Unzip your home directory entries when logged in as you, not root, so
file attributes and ownership aren't messed up.

I believe the latest Debian installers automagically add "main contrib
non-free" to the primary repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list, but
if they're not all there, add them to every line:
	deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main non-free contrib
	deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security main
contrib non-free
	deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates main contrib
non-free

Add deb-multimedia.org and TDE to your sources.list:
	# Debian Multimedia
	deb http://deb-multimedia.org bullseye main non-free
	# Trinity Desktop
	deb http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/deb/trinity-r14.0.x
bullseye main
	deb
http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/deb/trinity-builddeps-r14.0.x
bullseye main

(sorry for the arbitrary wrapping)

Deb-multimedia.org has instructions on importing their signing keys on
their front page. TDE on the Debian install page.

Now install TDE. If you went the GUI route, Debian will ask you if you
want to use TDM for login when TDM is installed. That's up to you,
lightdm will also show Trinity as a login option once TDE is
installed, so you can use whatever you want.

This will give you Debian, and the TDE look/and/feel that you're
accustomed to.

Remember selections.list from earlier? You can now open that and see
what, if anything, you want which wasn't installed already.

You can use the bulldozer method:
	apt-get update
	dpkg --set-selections <selections.list
	apt-get dselect-upgrade

...but that tends to have lots of "I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that"
messages. Also Debian tends to maintain the same package names
between versions once established, I don't know what the Ubuntu list
might have that could cause problems. So the bulldozer can be
ignored.

When you want to upgrade versions, just change to the new version name
in your /etc/apt/sources.list, and...

	apt-get update
	apt-get upgrade
	apt-get dist-upgrade

Just upgrade will not overwrite existing things, dist-upgrade will.

Personally, I've been using the dselect package manager since I first
installed Debian in early 1995. I've found it works very well
resolving version upgrades in one step rather than two. Most people
I've told about it call me a dinosaur. Since Ubuntu includes dselect
it made Ubuntu system management at my last employer so very much
easier for me, I just treated Ubuntu like an obsolete version of
Debian and we got along fine.

I hope this is useful. Being able to keep the look/and/feel even in
catastrophic restors and across multiple systems by saving/restoring
the .trinity directory (and before that .kde) has been one of the
great benefits and pleasures of using Trinity.

Curt-

- --
You may my glories and my state dispose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.
 --- William Shakespeare, "Richard II"