Re: StartX

On Mon, 6 Mar 2023 00:10:42 -0500
Felix Miata via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Maybe Darrell can spot something in startx that's different from Slackware.
> According to a primary X maintainer for SUSE, startx has not been supported "since
> more than 2 decades"[1] (for a non-root user). It fails on openSUSE with same
> results as on Fedora, and IIRC, I've see somewhere in Fedora mailing lists and/or
> RedHat Bugzilla comments to same effect.

Not Darrell, but after plugging your file into a diff alongside mine, the
following jumps out at me:

(Yours)

if [ "$have_vtarg" = "no" -a x"$vtarg" != x ]; then
    serverargs="$serverargs $vtarg"
    # Fedora specific mod to make X run as non root
    export XORG_RUN_AS_USER_OK=1
fi

(Mine)

if [ "$have_vtarg" = "no"]; then
    serverargs="$serverargs $vtarg"
fi

Mine also doesn't trap the KILL signal.  There are several other differences
that don't appear to be germane.

However, spelunking through the ebuild shows me that there is an actual
build-time option to make an X server require a logind provider (either
systemd or elogind) when running as nonroot.  There's also an option
to be used in combination with this to set a suid wrapper needed by some
video modules.

If your copy was compiled with -Dsystemd_logind=true, you need a
logind provider.  If you're unlucky enough to need the suid wrapper, but
your X was compiled with -Dsuid_wrapper=false, it's possible that there's
nothing you can do to fix this.

E. Liddell