Configuring TDE coexistence with other DEs

Hi All,

Is there a guideline to configure TDE to coexist fluidly with multiple DEs installed? Beyond installing to /opt/. Tips and tricks. I searched the wiki.

I would not mind discovering that after being away from TDE for some years that I am not configuring or compiling correctly, but seems TDE is somewhat designed with a presumption of only using TDE. Or possibly the build scripts I found are configured incorrectly. One way or another I need to know how environments should be configured inside and outside of TDE.

* Correctly configure TDE and other DE or system environment variables.
* How to use TDE software when using a different DE.
* How to use KDE software when using TDE.
* How to not lose themes when using KDE software within TDE.
* Ensuring dbus/dcop are accessed correctly.

For example, when launching TDE the starttde script ensures $TDEDIR/bin is in the environment $PATH just before /usr/bin. The opposite of that is using TDE software in a different DE then $TDEDIR/bin needs to be in $PATH just after /usr/bin (unless wanting to always type full paths). Yet I am not aware of anything that automatically configures $PATH that way.

There are many TDE files with the same file names as in KDE, but that does not mean all KDE software should be ignored. Yet launching KDE software from within TDE (for me) results in a loss of toolbar icon themes with the icons defaulting to flat icons. I can remedy that by using a script wrapper to launch KDE software with the script modifying XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=TDE:KDE. The change in the environment variable only affects that process but helps avoid the loss of the toolbar icon theme.

Oddly, running KDE software inside other DEs has no such theme issues, which implies something is incorrectly configured in (my) TDE (possibly environment variables). Setting XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=TDE:KDE in the environment before TDE fully launches causes some weird problems and xsession log spew.

While XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP and XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP support were added to TDM, seems the support was not added for launching TDE from the console with startx.

Other oddities include how the TDE GTK2 and GTK3 theme engines affect other DEs. Weird things happens when those two TDE packages are installed.

Thanks for your time!

D.A