Re: Poll for (cheap) TDE Mirror capabilities

On Saturday 03 September 2022 01:59:39 am Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> On Saturday 03 September 2022 03.41:33 Michael wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Four quick questions to see if Slávek, Mike, myself, et al. should pursue
> > creating an easy (NAT VPS / home TDE mirror) setup.
>
> I don't have a computer running all the time, but it could be done if this
> computer does not have to be too powerfull.

Hi Thierry,

Slávek will be the one to give definitive specs, but all the ‘home server’
needs to do is run a web server and have space for the files Slávek
wants/needs to support TDE.

A Raspberry Pi is sufficient to do this with.  My hazy memory (18 months ago)
is Slávek wanted something like 1 or 2 TB [1] of space for all the
TDE ‘stuff.’

My prior reference to using an Oracle VM is that is what I’d use, since my
computer is way over normal specs, already runs 24/7, and it’d be easiest for
me to just leave a VM running in the background.  Then again, thinking of
using a Pi is not a bad thing, I might go the Pi route as I wanted to ‘play’
with one anyway.

> I'd need a lot of explanations how to let this be accessed behind a
> firewall, but it could certainly be done.

That part (port forwarding) isn’t really that hard, but yes Slavik, Mike?,
and/or myself would provide those instructions.  If we get enough interest,
I’d do mine first and be able to create a concrete instruction set from that.

Best,
Michael

[1] If you’re in the US, this is what I use to find the cheapest hard drives.
Select the options you want.

External HDs
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/external-hard-drive/

Internal HDs