Re: Screensavers not working

On Saturday 23 July 2022 08:33:49 Michael wrote:
> On Saturday 23 July 2022 06:30:36 am Michele Calgaro via tde-users wrote:
> > On 2022/07/22 03:05 AM, Hunter Ellett via tde-users wrote:
> > > I've had this issue for quite some time now, but for some reason the
> > > screensavers in TDE do not work. I can preview them and set them, but
> > > as soon as the screensaver starts it shows my wallpaper. I have had
> > > this problem on the two main OSes I use, FreeBSD and Devuan/Debian.
> > > Does anyone have the same problem, or did, and is there a solution?
> > > Thanks

Apologies for my incorrigible verbosity and insufferable prolixity, but I am
just thinking out loud. If I had more time to revise, I could make it much
shorter. I was avoiding this discussion, because I don't actually *use* the
TDE screensaver, nor the KDE3 screensaver before it, but prefer to use
xscreensaver instead, as it has some stuff that the KDE/TDE versions don't.

Oddly, I cannot find any config files that ought to match the TDE or KDE3
screensaver. Look here:
/home/<USER>/.trinity/share/config/
/home/<USER>/.kde/share/config/

Config files (with the -rc stem at the end of the name): You can open these
with a text editor and modify the application. Myself, I save a copy of the
original before altering, and after my futzing round gets the modifications I
want, I make a backup of those most recent changes, so that I can overwrite
that file if it gets changed again.

Also maybe here:
/opt/trinity/share/config.kcfg/
but I find nothing myself.

One expects to find a config file here, either tdescreensaverrc or
kdescreensaverrc, or something like it, but I can find nothing. Elsewhere it
is named tdescreensaver, so I would expect that. But then, as I said, I
mostly use xscreensaver; maybe the system has not created those files? I did
start up the TDE screensaver; not much to say, except that it starts.

When I was looking round, I found this item:
/opt/trinity/share/applications/tde/screensaver.desktop
which can be opened with a text editor. It doesn't seem to do much, but I
wouldn't change anything here; yet it does tell us some information: the
tdescreensaver's parent app is kcontrol. So maybe by finding out where that
path leads, you might find something that can be useful. My own search for
kcontrol settings turned up nothing, but maybe I don't know where to look.

[Desktop Entry]
Exec=tdecmshell screensaver
Icon=tdescreensaver
Type=Application
X-DocPath=kcontrol/screensaver/index.html

X-TDE-Library=screensaver
X-TDE-FactoryName=screensaver
X-TDE-ParentApp=kcontrol

You might try changing some of the settings (legacy lock windows, secure
attention, etc.), just to see if it makes a difference. Also, some
powersaving settings can interfere with screensavers, as also various
programs such as media players, etc., (e.g., smplayer, vlc) which can be set
to disable the screensaver only while playing, but not otherwise.

At long last, I did find something that might be useful:
/home/<USER>/.trinity/share/config/tdepowersaverc
/home/<USER>/.kde/share/config/tdepowersaverc
It ought to be the first item, if anything, but if you have old KDE3 or newer
KDE settings, then maybe you have some old config files?

In my old KDE3 settings (which I keep as a backup), I found this little item:
/home/<USER>/.kde/share/config/kscreensaverrc
but nothing that corresponds to the newer TDE version. (One expects to find
tdescreensaverrc or another kscreensaverrc; but I have nothing there.) You
might be able to create your own config file; just create a new text file and
name it tdescreensaverrc or kscreensaverrc, and see what works.

My settings for this file, kscreensaverrc:
[ScreenSaver]
ActionBottomLeft=0
ActionBottomRight=0
ActionTopLeft=0
ActionTopRight=0
Enabled=false
LegacySaverEnabled=true
Lock=false
LockGrace=60000
PlasmaEnabled=false
Saver=KClock.desktop
Timeout=60

Now, these are the settings from an older system, which I saved as a backup,
for reference in times like these, when something doesn't work right. You
ought to see something like this in a similar file for tdescreensaverrc, that
is, in /home/<USER>/.trinity/share/config/tdescreensaverrc, if that file
actually existed. It could be that this has changed in the newer TDE
releases. Since I don't use the TDE screensaver (much), I don't have this
file, but my screensaver seems to work, anyway.

I would try creating a config file here, see what happens. Good luck!

Bill