No more getting the login manager

OK, I'm looking like a newbie there, but I'm willing to learn :)

Short story:
I had a Thinkpad running Buster
Today upgraded it to Bullseye, went fine
Then I removed xfce (I guess this was the problematic move).

Now my system boots to a prompt:  login:

If I do login, then startx, I get TDE.

I've tried "systemctl set-default graphical.target" but no change. I know I
can reinstall my backup but I'm sure there's someone here who will point me
to the right way to start with the TDE login manager.

Note that after removing xfce, at first it *did* boot to TDE login. Then it
stopped doing it, and startx boot to... Gnome. I then removed Gnome and ran
dpkg-reconfigure, so now startx starts TDE...  but I have to login and
startx. I'm a bit lost :(

Thierry