Re: Linux Magazine's article on TDE

On 2022-06-07 21:00:55 William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> On Monday 06 June 2022 08:50:49 am Michele Calgaro via tde-users wrote:
>> "Trinity dates from a time when functionality ... [was] more of a priority"
	One wonders if the author's mandate is to compare desktops' eye-candy and gee-whiz
animations rather than their usability?

> There is pressure to conform to the mainstream opinions and tastes, and
> some people would rather fit in than to think too much.
>
> For me, with TDE, I can have whatever I want, limited only by hardware and
> my own skills or lack of them.
>
> Also, in some places that retro look, the newfangled hipsters, are supposed
> to be cool. But users can make their TDE screens look almost like anything
> they want. Rather than having maybe a dozen bland prefabricated
> configurations to choose from, TDE's old school interface offers infinite
> possibilities for how we can make our desktops look; all it requires is a
> little exploration and tinkering.
	Quite right; lots of options and a more straightforward configuration interface than most
other desktops, which seem to be either overly complicated (Plasma) or overly simplified
(Gnome); but even Gnome can be configured if one is persistent, though the controls are
scattered in multiple programs.

> Maybe that isn't to everybody's liking, though I don't get why. But then,
> for myself, I got used to being the minority opinion. Then again, we might
> consider it as a problem of branding: the kids have got to be taught that
> old school sometimes was really cool, and still is cool.
>
> Bill

Leslie
--
Platform: Linux