Re: Kmail and Gmail Troubles

On Tuesday 07 June 2022 11:33:21 Kate @ Borg Labs wrote:
> On 6/7/22 14:00, Marvin Jones via tde-users wrote:
> > On Tue, 7 Jun 2022, Kate @ Borg Labs wrote:
> >> Has anyone figured out how to get kmail and kshowmail working with gmail
> >> again?
> >>
> >> I'm currently using Thunderbird, which is fine but I do prefer kmail.
> >
> > I've seen nothing but teeth gnashing, rants, and swear words
> > in various usenet newsgroups concerning Gmail with auth0.
> >
> > If auth0 is your issue, it may not be "fun".
> >
> > I'm fortunate that I can simply have gmail auto-forwarded
> > to my real email account.
> >
> > I have little use for or need of gmail.
> >
> > Good luck to you!
> >
> > Jonesy
>
> Jonesy
>
> You may have hit on a good idea.
>
> Would it be possible for trinity to create it's own email service for
> it's users?
>
> Kate

We just had a pretty long and involved discussion of both these issues,
although in slightly different form.

1. Regarding TDE starting its own email service for users:
It would be too much for developers and users to take on. However, I did
propose a rather vague idea about starting an email cooperative (sort of like
a food coop, or other workers' cooperative). Users are also owners, and would
also have to contribute not just to operating costs, but also would take on
some of the work. It seems to me that something like that could work. If some
people who just happen to be members of the Trinity mailing list also happen
to want to start their own email cooperative, that would not be directly
connected with TDE. But that is as far as I got in imagining it, as there
would have to be some kind of structure, to make sure everything works, etc.,
etc. And we would have to own a server, or have use of a server, and there
would have to be some people who can manage the technical, business and legal
issues. And that's where my dream falls apart, and I wake up.

2. For that other problem: See threads that follow from the heading of "how to
use Kmail with the new Google monster?" started on 25 May 2022 by the present
author, myself.

What you want is here, I believe, if you can get it to work for you:
https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/1672544-using-gmail

This would seem to have the best resolution for how to get Gmail to work with
Kmail. (And I would be personally interested in finding an actual working
solution for this issue.)

For myself, though, the solution seems to be to get another email service that
does not require a telephone number to register. (A web search with ddg
turned up a whole slew of them, which I have yet to sort through.) My own
Gmail accounts are now totally inaccessible to myself, as the phone numbers
and alternate emails associated with those accounts are no longer active, and
I have had these accounts for 10+ years. Google has made the world more
secure by preventing me from getting into my account at all.

Good luck! If anybody anywhere manages to get Gmail working with Kmail, I want
to hear it. If there is a way to rescue a Gmail account outside those
methods. Gmail tells me that they cannot verify that I am myself, even though
I use the correct user name and a perversely difficult password.

Bill