Re: video sound not working

On Saturday 14 May 2022 06:29:37 Borg Labs wrote:
> asoundconf-gtk
>
>1. Check for all alsa packages.
>
>2. See if you have the package "asoundconf-gtk" which will allow you to
>choose
>your default audio card ( I usually only have one but on me heavier machines
>I have 2 or 3).

No such package! (or so I am told).

output from apt-get
E: Unable to locate package asoundconf-gtk
E: Unable to locate package asoundconf-*

output from aptitude
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "asoundconf-gtk"
Unable to apply some actions, aborting

I already checked all those other possible issues; nothing is muted in
alsamixer. And I have already tried to match up smplayer's settings with
vlc's. The one advantage of vlc is that it has a very BIG and accessible
drop-down menu to choose from.

Settings in vlc for audio output device reads
"HD- Audio Generic, ALC257 Analog Default Audio Device".
In fact, I use vlc's settings to troubleshoot on other audio output that were
a problem. (For example, my Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 USB audio recording
interface, a new addition to the family, which is now working just fine.)

Other audio output for playing music files or online radio also work just
fine. System sounds (when I want to hear them) also seem to be working okay.
The problem really is somewhat narrow, in that only vlc will play sound from
videos; kaffeine-trinity also does that, but otherwise, no video players will
play sound.

Just for kicks, I tested both vlc and smplayer with music files (no video,
only sound), and the results are still the same; vlc plays everything,
smplayer sends an error message.

Bill

Bill