Re: Android emulator for Linux? [offtopic]

On Thursday 07 April 2022 17:02:00 Curt Howland wrote:
> On Thursday 07 April 2022, William Morder via tde-users was heard to
>
> say:
> > Now I see linphone can be installed on an Android? Not sure how it
> > works, but I'm willing to give it a go. Looks like I might need to
> > find that old headphone/microphone combo, and get some more
> > attachments for the laptop.
>
> Signal has excellent voice quality and sends calls across the 'Net
> rather than using cell minutes. Since it's end-to-end encrypted it's
> the best thing I know of at this time.
>
> My first puter-to-puter voice attempt was PGP Phone, back around 1994
> or so. Then Skype came along and worked so very well, until bought by
> Microsloth.
>
> VoIP requires a server and trunk lines, tons of pre-configuration,
> more work than it's worth now that cell phones are ubiquitous.
>
> Curt-

My main interests here are:

First, to have a backup plan, for when things like this happen to me, and my
smartphone temporarily doesn't work.

Second, to be able to connect my smartphone (and any other devices) to my main
machine, the Mothership. I would prefer to do this by direct connection,
rather than over wifi or bluetooth. I just want to plug in and sync like
that, to make sure my addressbooks are all complete, or to copy other
contents.

Third, if I could somehow use my smartphone over my computer's wifi
connection, that might be useful.

Right now I save everything to SD cards, but then I have to shut down the
phone to take out the SD card and copy files back and forth.

It occurs to me, by the way -- thinking of Michael's original question here --
I wonder if the whole Android device could be copied via dd to a partition
inside a VM, and somehow be got to run from there? That must be like the Holy
Grail.

Something tells me that my phone provider would be able to tell that it's not
actually my phone making and receiving calls.

Bill