Re: Android emulator for Linux? [offtopic]

On Monday 28 March 2022 12:53:28 pm deloptes wrote:
> Michael wrote:
> > Hi Nik,
> >
> > As much as possible I'm trying to avoid Google, so not yet...
> >
> > Most of the others I mentioned had ways to exclude the google sphere
> > (playstore and all the hidden crap).
> >
> > To me a phone is just a phone.  Mine now complains all the time that I
> > should "enable Google services" since I blocked everything google I could
> > find.  Humours as hell when it's the caculator app.
>
> I am using Sailfish OS as continuation of the MeeGo project, and there is
> licensed AlienDalvik extention that provides Android emulation in the
> phone.
> It works well (most of the time) but has it's bugs and limitations.
>
> > If I could get a decent LineageOS phone I would, but the location I'm at
> > the phone has to be 5G for reliable service.
>
> I am not sure how well Sailfish OS supports 5G. I do not even use the 4G
> and most of the providers are going to decommission 3G. 2G will most likely
> stay for a while until all devices are upgraded (if at all in near future)
>
> > Anyway, thanks for the reply, as a last resort I will, as all I really
> > want is to play a few mobile games with friends...
>
> For this buy a phone that coveres the requirements for the games and use it
> with the wireless router - you do not even need a sim card (except for the
> initial registration to the play store AFAIK)

Hi BR,

Thanks for the info.  I've pretty much exhausted all of them at this point.
The few that do install and run, won’t run ARM apps (which is apparently what
all newer .apk packages use).  Google’s Android Studio SDK can (after some
work), but then you’re stuck with Google APIs and Play Store system images,
so no joy there.

I’ll probably do what you basically suggested, get a LineageOS phone just for
games, never put a sim card in it, and then run it through wifi.  I did read
up on Sailfish OS to see if I could do somewhat the same with it, but it’s
region locked to just [Europe?] so I can’t use it here.

For those that are interested here’s my summary of what I found and (links to)
my attempts to get several to work:
https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=677813

Best All,
Michael