Re: Support for ukrainian?

On Sonntag, 20. März 2022 18:09:04 CET Roman Savochenko wrote:
> Hi, Michael

Moin Roman,

> 19.03.22 21:06, Michael Renner wrote:
> > a friend asked me for some (older) notebooks for people who fled from
> > ukraine. So my point is: i would install ubuntu with tde if there is
> > support for ukrainian language.

Thank you for the many replies and the pointers to the sustainability of
support. I'm only replying to this email, but my reply is for everyone who
contributed to the thread.

> Yes, I have translated, or updated the present translation from KDE 3,
> for most TDE components used by me personally.
>
> And that is great! Since I think of most those people will see PC in
> Ukrainian locale in the first time. :)

The friend who is staying with the refugees is the "founder" of the Freifunk
project in his place. Fast free network access is already taken care of.

> You may consider of using ready solutions on the Debian base as the
> fresh Live Disks with the last stable TDE and some my patches not
> accepted in TDE still. Those Live Disks are built regularly for Debian
> 7,8,9,10,11, so you will find one for correct work on any old age
> hardware. And download they you can here —
> http://ftp.oscada.org/OpenSCADA/Work/Live/ , from the OpenSCADA project
> server which still works in Ukraine!

I have meanwhile installed a Lenovo notebook (i3 processor) with Debian 11 and
TDE and it feels very smooth. A Compaq NX5000 (i686) doesn't have the HDD
Caddy, but unfortunately it can't be used without it. I'm looking for ....
Unfortunately, the other notebooks in my basement were much older than I
thought, so old that they didn't even have Ethernet. Were there times like
this? I am old!

> 20.03.22 11:37, Slávek Banko wrote:
> > according to the state of translations to Ukrainian, it seems to be at a
> > very good level. The biggest contribution to the good state of
> > translations has Roman Savochenko - I hope he's okay.

@Roman thanks for your translation work. I'll be happy to give you feedback as
soon as we know how the children can deal with TDE in Ukrainian. Who knows,
maybe they (or the parents, I don't know how IT-savvy they are, can contribute
something).

> I am fine, thanks!

Greeting
--