Re: non-starting browsers & other annoyances

On Thursday 03 March 2022 23:26:26 Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> > to get Open Office running,
>
> How have you tried installing it?

I downloaded the tar.gz of several of the most recent versions, going back to
the one that worked on my desktop (then running Devuan Beowulf). When I tried
downloading from the OO repositories, I got some weird files unlike ever
before seen. In /var/cache/apt/archives/ the packages had some extension (as
I recall) saying FAILED or some such.

But I had previously used the debs that were packed inside a tar.gz, so I
tried those (going back to version 4.17), and nothing ever really worked.

> What happens when you launch it?

They would install, and I could even get OO to launch, see the splash screen,
then it immediately crashed.

> Did you try using the supported LibreOffice themes?

Yes, but they don't really do it for me. The borders of the GUI itself
(surrounding my actual page) are still uncomfortably bright next to the black
background of the page. I studied those how-to wikis and web pages, got the
breeze-dark icons and theme, but never managed to get LibreOffice to use
anything darker than what is displayed in my sample screenshots.

> > (I am not joking here. I get watery eyes, and eventually a migraine,
> > after staring at a white screen for more than about 5 minutes.)
>
> Have you tried turning down the brightness?

Already tried that, but doesn't deal adequately with those glaringly bright
borders.

> Or installing one of those anti-glare filters?

I might, but now that's one more thing to buy, when really all I need to is
change that GUI, and it seems there must be a way to hack it.

I've attached some screenshots for comparison:

sample 1 is my current Libre Office, so you can see the borders. Just that
much white screen kills my eyes pretty fast. I don't have any screenshots of
Open Office at present. (Maybe I posted something on the Trinity page?
haven't checked but I don't think so.)

sample 2 is my Trinity-TDE colors, which is what I would most prefer to use.
It could be that I am getting old and set in my ways, but I don't think that
there is any way of regaining my youth and less sensitive eyes. (That's
partly hereditary, though, as my mother was the same; wore dark glasses
everywhere after about age 45, even indoors, like a jazz musician.) As for
myself, I practically invented dark mode for all my machines, long before
there was such a thing. Back when I still ran the rotten Apple and Windoze
(before 2006), I was doing that. My eyes have only got worse since then.

sample 3 is a web page as displayed by Icecat. I *believe* that those are from
another color scheme, using the theme that I created during my hate-hate with
KDE5 krap. That would be my second choice. The fonts are teeny-tiny, but at
least the colors are glaringly bright.

For the time being, I am mostly doing some layout of pages, so I go through
and create a pdf, then switch screens to kpdf, and when I make some change, I
But once I get into something where I actually have to write, instead of just
revising and doing layout, it means I will be stuck on the Libre Office GUI
for much longer periods, and that will not work. I keep trying, and it just
ain't happening.

I am sticking with work that I can actually do now (switching between kpdf and
Libre Office screens), and meanwhile researching how to get it to look like
either my TDE theme or the KDE5 theme. Seems like I ought to be able at least
to get it to look like KDE5, using css or something. That trick using qt4ct
worked wonders in the past, but does nothing for me now.

Thanks for your patience. For me, this is literally a big headache.

Bill